Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The 13th Loop

After reading Sean's post titled " The Noose Tightens" I thought I would offer up my own two cents to the peanut gallery. A few days ago around ETOD I was in the bay talking with one of the PRN employees, nothing special just the usual stuff, how was your night, any good calls, crazy people stuff like that. Somewhere along the convo he came to the point about his recent punishment for being late to work for the third time. I was half listening while I was mentally planning my two days off when I heard him say he was going to be fined an entire days pay for the offense. Hold up, back the truck up, what did you just say? Yea he repeated, an entire 12hr shift that he gets to work for free. WTF I'm thinking how the hell is that possible? As I sit there chewing on this little mental nugget I seem to remember M&J mentioning something about this at one of their mandatory fireside chats I was required to attend on my day off. As I sift throught the fodder that bangs around in my hat rack I do remember some little nibblet about being fined for write up's. While I'm dragging the thought up from the mire I seem to recall that that they slipped that little gem in while we were all embroiled with the uniform drama. Three write up's and you will be finacially flogged. So the hammer drops and this guy gets the brunt. I quiz him a little more on what exactly took place and he is amazingly short on the particulars. All this guy can tell me is that he was informed that he gets now gets to volunteer 12 hours of his life to the the city of New Orleans for free. Things happen, your car implodes, all the taxi's in the city are 10-7 and the RTA suddenly stopped running, whatever, people are gonna be late every once in a few. But the more I talk to this guy the less he can tell me. Whats the time frame required for the three write up's to result in lost wages? Do they all have to be of the same flavor? What are they based on? Am I all the sudden on the road to finacial ruin because some person calls in a complaint about my boots leaving mud on their carpet? Just what the hell is going on here? As we go back and forth on the issue I sudenly hit a pothole on the yellow brick road. Just hold up one little second I think; wasen't there an event of amazing idiocy just a few short weeks ago? Did I not hear through the deisel powered grapevine that is NOHD about a crew responding to a code out in the third where the paramedic not only let his basic partner run the code on scene but then allowed him to tech the call while he drove them into the er? With a fireman on board no less? Correct me if I'm wrong but does this go against not only NOHD regs but those of the NREMT? This paramedic not only was totally outside the bounds of the rules but also provided a substandard quality of care with probable detrimental results to the pt. Where is the finacial responsibility for these two? So let me get this straight. Three write up' s occuring in an unspecified time period relating to unknown and undefined incidents equals 12 hours of free work? ( and where does the persons pay go anyway? I guess not for chemstrips.) On the flip side blatenly ignoring procedure, providing less then the highest quality of care avaliable, and placing our pt's well being at risk earns you a stern talking to? I call bullshit. But I wasen't there so what do I know anyway. This sure ain't your Daddy's NOHD. Just what has happened? Keep the comments coming I have a fire hose at the ready to deal with the flames. j

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that I pissed my pants when I saw this one...very well put.

Anonymous said...

read your civil service handbook, its free at city hall, these are not new rules, they were just never enforced because old management was a joke, they didn't care about anything but making money.

Anonymous said...

p. s. as far as substandard quality of care, well folks thats everyday in the big city! there are only a handful of good paramedics that work there, the others just slip through the cracks because management didn't care as long as it was a body. hopefully the new guys will clean house.
as far as the basic teching the call, happens all the time, and sometimes its in the patients best interest.
josh are you trying to say you never, ever teched a call when you were a basic? you'd be lying!

Anonymous said...

"Under Louisiana law (R.S. 23:635), an employer is prohibited from penalizing an employee or deducting any sum of money as a penalty or fine from the employee's wages, except where the employee damages property belonging to the employer or property in the possession of the employer. The deduction, though, cannot exceed the actual damage done." Go to the department of labor website for more info.

Anonymous said...

The civil service rule stated that pursuant to progressive disciplinary action that the City of New Orleans can issue a fine up to but not exceeding the equivelent of one day's pay. It is all in the way that it is written. I know that it sucks, but it is the way that it is!

Anonymous said...

Do you really think that the city of New Orleans rules outrank those of the Department of Labor of the State of Louisiana??? Look how they screwed the fire department and now are being made to pay up. The "that's the way it is" attitude is precisely why things don't change.