Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Flipflops and Socks

I find it amazing how suddenly we embrace an option that allows us the opportunity to slack off. "Weekend Uniforms?" Just what the hell is this all about? Why if given the option wold we happily dress down like the rest of these slack ass services? When I firsr walked into this place we laughed at all of the t-shirt wearing, can't find an iron, boot unlaced sorry excuses for medics. Now here WE are happily wearing a t-shirt just because we can. How bout a little pride? Not only in yourselves but in the service that we are. Let the people who run code 3 to a fallen out PEG tube have their silly little polos. I for one think we should strive to present an image that all the other sub-par services can't match.
If you want to wear to wear you three buttons, more power to you. Just know that it makes us that much more alike everyone else. I remember a time when I was proud to see that starchy line down the middle of my shirt sleave. And I'm still proud to see it there today.
We all need to remember where we came from, how little we had, and how much we did with it.

9 comments:

EQUENSUEHOCHA said...

I appreciate the gesture. I'm sure somwhere, someone thought it would be somewhat of a treat, if you will, to let us wear the polo shirts on the weekend. Personally, I won't be wearing mine to work because I think they look sloppy. Not to mention, it totally defeats the whole "uniformity" thing that "they" have been striving to achieve. If anything, I would like to wear my other boots because these new ones are killing my poor little feet:( But I'm not going to complain. Anyway, it could always be worse. If some people are happy wearing their polos on the wekend, then I'm happy for them. Any little thing helps.

resQscooter said...

Well, we don't wear anything in NC... Not very professional, if you ask me and when my PA gets stuck in the stretcher handle It kinda ruins the rest of the day for me :O But seriously, an opinion from someone who no longer matters-- the NOHD uniform was a matter of pride for me. The beginning of the end was changing it last year. I do miss my BDUs and pressed white shirt. Strong work Mohican!

T-MAN said...

I want to work with you in NC Scooter, nothing are you sure you wear nothing?!! Where do you put your penlight or keys? I know where you keep you cell, being that it is always on vibrate!!!


Also I always like the old uniform as well.

Sean said...

I've still got my old uniforms! They're a matter of pride as well! The new ones look great, but ya don't stand out from NOPD. Although you DO stand out from all the other EMT's around! In more ways than one!
Fitz

Sean said...

testing comments

Anonymous said...

test

Anonymous said...

such strong fahion conviction! how about directing this emotion to patient care.

melinda said...

Okay, I'm gonna try this one more time. My pride in this service doesn't fly out the window just becasue its Saturday or Sunday and I have a polo on. I don't think it makes us look less professional. One thing for certain is that it is the attitude that makes a person look professional. Sure, you can't come to work in just your hot pink undies with your badge taped to your chest and think you look, or will be treated like a professional. But if you come to work with a nicely ironed uniform shirt (regular kind or polo), nice unfaded pants, polished boots, and good personal hygeine, and most important of all, a good attitude, then you will not be looked at as a slacker, or sub-par..... especially when you remember what is on the back of that uniform, which definately makes us stand out from the rest.

Anonymous said...

it's a damn shirt...get over it!